I have to start off by getting on my soapbox...
At the end of the day, being a conscious customer means always questioning, checking labels (look for cotton and wool over polyester and acrylic) and making thoughtful purchases. Making thoughtful purchases means not always buying that shirt or pair of pants, even if they are ethically made. I struggle with this constantly and am learning more and more that I don't need half the clothes I own. A sustainable/ethical/responsible wardrobe is one that uniquely and honestly represents YOU. The lists below are full of great companies that will only continue to be great if we, the customers, hold them accountable!
- Patagonia – Everyone knows this brand for it's durable activewear but it also has great products for everyday.*
- Pact – Affordable underwear, socks and t-shirts.*
- Nudie Jeans – Ethical denim that's made to last.*
- Everlane – Especially known for their handsome knits.*
- Apolis – A wide selection of high quality clothing and accessories.
- Industry of All Nations – Casual brand selling clothing, accessories and shoes.*
- Brothers We Stand – A large collection of simple and stylish items.
- People Tree – Great brand selling a small selection of men's shirts and sweaters *
- Alternative Apparel – Minimalist style.*
Shoes and Accessories
- Veja – Very cool sneakers that are made with integrity.*
- Nisolo – A small selection of nice leather shoes.*
- Oliberte – Casual sneakers, boots and oxford shoes.*
- Mamahuhu – Sturdy, yet chic, boots and accessories.*
*Also sells women's clothing and accessories (or shoes).
A huge shout out to The Good Trade, which provided me with much of this information! Check out their website if you're looking for even more ethical goodies.