Happy International Women's Day! Whether you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to strike, or just rocked your red, I hope it was a day full of female empowerment. In honor of this day I thought I'd bring together a list of 5 awesome businesses who are either founded, run by, or in total support of women. The icing on the cake? They are all based in LA! Check out some local love below.
1. YSTR is a sustainable clothing company produced and based in Los Angeles. The brand creates cut-to-order garments within capsule collections. Their process means less wasted fabric and better fitting clothing. They recently launched "YSTR Club" which gives you access to some pretty sweet benefits with a monthly membership. The Club's goal is to bring together rad women with passions for sustainability.
2. The Amplify Collective strives to bring women together. It stresses that life is busy and we all feel like we need to be doing more or better, but we can lean on and learn from each other. Through dinners, workshops and even a podcast The Amplify Collective empowers women in Los Angeles.
3. LA Beyond the Label is an organization which aims to learn from and educate others about sustainably, as well as ethically, made clothing. They host workshops, participate in talks and produce their own fair trade "BtL T-shirt". The founder and most of the staff are women trying to support other women around the world.
4. Elborne is an online shopping site for everything ethical and sustainable. They sell and promote all you need for a stylish and fair trade lifestyle. For women, by women.
5. Galerie .LA is also an online shop which features and sells fair trade brands. They pride themselves on sourcing local products which are made ethically, sustainably, cruelty free and more. Many of their "makers" are women as well as staff.
Don't forget that issues in fashion are women's issues, as 80% of garment workers are women! Learn more about this and how you can support them at fashionrevolution.org.