In high school I was known as the girl who was always experimenting with fashion. People claimed that I never wore any outfit twice and has closet full of new clothes (only half true). If you were to talk with any of my classmates from then, they never would have guessed about the kind of slow fashion advocate I am now. One day, one of my good friends was teasing me about how he thought I could never go a week wearing the same shirt. Challenge, accepted! I wore the same (I'll admit, pretty basic) t-shirt to school every day for a week. I forget what I won but the pride of knowing I accomplished it was enough for me. That's how I felt through this 10x10 Challenge, only it wasn't as easy-breezy as my attempt in high school.
The challenge was created by Lee Vosburgh of Style Bee. The challenge lasts 10 days, with 10 items, and 10 outfits. Vosburgh suggests choosing 2 pairs of shoes, 1 jacket, 1 dress, 2 pairs of pants, and 4 shirts. I admittedly got a little confused and forgot shoes were a part of this equation, okay I cheated! My 10 items consisted of a 2 jackets, 5 tops, 2 pairs of jeans, and 1 dress:
- I don't enjoy experimenting as much as I used to. Attempting weird trends and styling pieces in new ways are things that I love to muse about but aren't practical for my day-to-day. Call it growing up (gasp) but, I need a balance of comfort, style, and practicality in my wardrobe.
- I could go the rest of my life wearing the same two pairs of sneakers and maybe a pair of boots for nights out. But really, I have to force myself to mix up my shoe game– so why in the world do I have 20 pairs of shoes? Good question.
- Same goes for jackets, I have about 12 (including faux fur and blazers, but not including winter coats). I live in Los Angeles! A girl here really only needs 3 or 4 max. Suffice to say my spring cleaning will be a serious one this year.
- Planning outfits relieves an incredible amount of stress. I was able to get ready and out the door so much quicker because I knew I only had a limited about of things to choose from. I like having variety in my closet, but it's important for me to be realistic about what I actually want to wear on a daily basis. Why am I still hanging on to that denim vest from 3 years ago? Another good question.
- Accessories are a girls best friend, and I'm sure it's not hard to tell that statement earrings are my friend of choice!