As I've researched further and dove deeper into the world of sustainable/ethical fashion I've realized that there are generally three different approaches that people believe will change the industry.
- Individual. Some people stand by the idea that it is the individual's job to seek out better clothing options and demand change from the brands which are not doing their part.
- Corporate. Others believe that it will have to be big businesses who change their ways and provide better options to customers.
- Government. Lastly, a third approach is that there must be laws put in place which help to regulate how the fashion industry works.
While I have heard differing views on which method is the best, the truth is that all three must be used in order to spur real change. Every part of the industry must be help accountable and work together to create a new system. If you are feeling overwhelmed by this, have no fear, it's a one day at a time kind of situation. So today, here's a quick and easy way you can take action; sign these three petitions:
- War on Want's demand for Uniqlo to take responsibility for its supply chain
- Labour Behind the Label's petition for transparency
- Environmental Justice Foundation's push for climate change and human rights reports from the UN
One day at a time, but never stop questioning!